In Memory of Steve Jobs
I was saddened yesterday when I heard the news of Steve Jobs passing… social media and the news is full of tributes to this man who shaped a company that I imagine has touched and changed the lives of almost everyone who reads this blog. I obviously didn’t know him personally but I’ve been an Apple user since 1986. For someone to die so young really makes me feel my own mortality and take stock of how I spend the days I have – we just never know how many we have left.
I thought I’d post some quotes by Steve Jobs that can inspire us to be the best we can be – personally and professionally.
- “It’s really hard to design products by focus groups. A lot of times, people don’t know what they want until you show it to them.” [BusinessWeek, May 25, 1998]
- “That’s been one of my mantras — focus and simplicity. Simple can be harder than complex: You have to work hard to get your thinking clean to make it simple. But it’s worth it in the end because once you get there, you can move mountains.” [BusinessWeek, May 25, 1998]
- “You can’t connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something — your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life.” [Stanford commencement speech, June 2005]
- “Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren’t used to an environment where excellence is expected.”
- “People think focus means saying yes to the thing you’ve got to focus on. But that’s not what it means at all. It means saying no to the hundred other good ideas that there are. You have to pick carefully.”
Rest in Peace Steve Jobs – you have touched all of our lives.
– Tara Reed
quotes were found at http://www.businessinsider.com and http://www.macstories.net/roundups/inspirational-steve-jobs-quotes/